Boonton is a town in Morris County, New Jersey that was chartered in 1867. As of the United States 2000 Census, the town population was 8,496. The town was originally called “Boone-Towne” in 1761 in honor of the Colonial Governor Thomas Boone.
Boonton was originally formed on March 16, 1866, within portions of Hanover Township and Pequannock Township. The town was reincorporated and became independent on March 18, 1867.
Today’s Boonton began in about 1829, as a result of the construction of the Morris Canal and the development of the New